The road west from Cork city moves through the valley of the River Lee, past the castle of Caisleán Charraig an Droichid (Carrigadrohid) to the town of Maigh Cromtha (Macroom) the sloping plain, standing on the banks of the Sullane River, near the point where the Sullane joins the lovely River Lee. Carrigadrohid Castle was once a McCarthy stronghold where, in 1650 Bishop McEgan of Ross was hanged, from the reins of his own horse, by Cromwellian soldiers. Beyond Macroom, Gaeltacht Mhúscraí (Muskerry Gaeltacht) is, more or less, tucked in between the road to Killarney past the 15th century Caisleán Charraig an Phúca (Carrigaphouca Castle) and the West Cork Road to Inis Geimhleach (Inchigeela), Béal Átha an Ghaorthaidh (Ballingeary) and Gugán Barra (Gougane Barra).
The Island of Cape Clear is a very hilly island and features magnificent high cliffs, lonely, sheltered coves which were used by the fishermen of old. There are two scenic pebble beaches, Inníor and Trá Dhún Chléire and many historical, archaelogical and topographical sites of interest.